The P!mp's Featured Video!

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

it's about the money lah...

I don't really read up on my newspapers recently (make that a few months, actually) but I actually do know that the Singaporean has once again pressed the override switch on its people again and went on to do something that it has all the while wanted to do - opening not one but two casinos so as to put us firmly on the map on the minds of those who like to dance with chance.

What do I think of it? Should I say bored indifference or honest outrage? I am not sure but I do know one thing, I kind of saw this coming despite all the reports and hype generated by our own crappy national media in order to fuel more public interest and to sell more of their papers, column spaces, and air time. I mean, what's the point of asking people to talk about it and offer opposing views when your mind has already been deadset on doing it?

Might as well pull rank and say, "Look peasants, I the Dragon King, am going to build this vice den and let all those foreign talents get hooked on gambling and never leave our shores, wahaha, while you ordinary shitheads slog on as puny casino greeters, roulette spinners and whatnots, and don't even think about speaking out because your voices will be put down like useless flies that you are!" And they even had the cheek to say that they were really undecided about it all the way until the Sunday before they were going to announce the decision on the following Monday! Some more they can add that if the proposals proved to be undesirable and pose a potential social ill, then the plan will not go through.

I say that's as crapola as they can get (sorry this is my blog and if any one of the familee sees this, I can only say that this are my thoughts expressed on a medium that has no central governance, so sue me). C'mon, why even implement such as thing and then come around and make up a rule saying that those who are on public assistance and in bad debts cannot go in? And as for those with clean sheets expect to be made $100 bucks poorer just to go in. I mean, this is just such a typical Singapore Gah-ment tactic.

Now that the dust has been settled and even the immortal Harry Lee has come out of his hovel and explained to the peasants that the governament's decision was right, I guess there isn't much that anyone can do but shake their heads and lament about the gradual downfall of morality in Singapore. For goodness sake, even one MP went all emo about the ills of gambling though I can never be sure if that's another fine act deserving the Oscar becuase at least it showed the people that the government is really, really torn inside and it actually had a conscience.

Call me cynical or disrespectful but I feel that gambling will never ever have a positive impact on society, even one that is as sophisticated and seemingly well-bred like Singapore because gambling is an appeal to the very basest of human instincts - that of greed. Once you have won, it's hard to quit and even when you have squandered every last morsel of your savings, you will still harbor the wild hopes of recouping the last loss. It's a vicious cycle and will never end. Maybe some of you will say that a mojority of Singaporeans will not be able to afford the entrance fee especially those on the so-called banned list (30,000 over in fact of the buggers) but who's to stop them from acquiring these cash by other means? And who's to take responsibility when a few thousands more hop onto the banned list since they will most probably lose their money and go into bad debts?

Let me visualise here who has the most to gain from all these brouhaha.

1. Gah-ment: Coz the ultimate house advantage will go to the Men in White and their treasure coves locked up somewhere in the Alps.

2. Banks: There will probably be schemes to help people get over their debts, making them more in debts - way to go, legal ah-longs!

There will also probaly be a rise in other accompanying bad habits that people will pick up along the way likedare I say it, prostitution and the rise of more cheap motels since there will probably be a rise in demand for social escorts since the winners who will likely be men will want to spend their winnings on something more exciting than just pulling that Jackpot stick.

So for the next leap, maybe even working girls will be made legal and be forced to contribute CPF?? Pity the pimps...

No comments:

128298066625157500icanhastart.jpg