The P!mp's Featured Video!

Monday, August 28, 2006

National Champion

Just got to know that the latest 2006 Magic the Gathering National Champion for Singapore is this one Alvin Tan who I will see and had the honor to play against at the hobby shop near my home.

Now, the thing that made it all the more fascinating is this: this shop (Char-Kway-Teow.com) is not known to breed champs like this and very often, it's even looked down upon as a backwater joint by the Bishan pro and pro poseurs. A recent spat between the shopkeeper and some of his customers that sparked a furore in the community did not help matter. In fact, yours truly too thinks that the crowd that mingles there suck but then again, I am not that well off myself.

Having said that, I want to still say that I am proud of Alvin for having shown the world that TPY can produce winning players. For me, I just need to work a little harder and hope that Luck smiles on me...

Oh well.

Anyway, it's back to work today and thinking on how am I going to write about the movie, Singapore Dreaming, which I had the chance to watch last week. It was a good movie, mind you. Although it's a tad depressing and grey in its outlook on the middle class of Singapore, it has nevertheless captured the essence of what it means to be the working, blue collar stratographic of the Singaporean society.

If you have been wondering what to watch these days, then maybe you can consider Singapore Dreaming. Really, this little flick does show that there are good movies that could be made, even if the director is not a certain Jack Neo, who I think is fast running out of steam.





No comments:

128298066625157500icanhastart.jpg