The P!mp's Featured Video!

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Rune-Midgard Anthologies: An Acolyte's Dream

Ok guys, I am going to post a series of prose that I have written as part of my monthly work in GameAxis (this story is under the section called Avatar). Although, the story is of now yet to be completed and is only available in print form. I felt it necessary to preserve the story in this online space of my own for posterity's sake. Just in case, you know, if I were to leave the place (O_o) that I am working now. At least, I can look back and tell myself, hell, I did something good while I lasted there.

Firstly, I have to say that this story has come a long way ever since its inception last July (year 2004). Basically, this is a tale that was inspired by the online game, Ragnarok Online which I was playing through the large part of last year. Although, I am no longer with the game, I am still writing the story and am striving to complete it. In a lot of ways, this is a piece of fan-fiction (the places, names of weapons and description of skills in the story are true to the game but the characters are wholly my own) that I would love to be known as one of my crowning achievements because of the numbers of emails I have received from my readers who told me that they loved my story. It's kind of touching to know that people do read your stuff and that they are interested to know what will happen come the next month.

The whole turning point that made me realise this was when I was away for ICT (In-Camp Training) last month and thus, was largely uninvolved in the mag production for July. Thus, because of the fact that my section doesn't generate revenue, they have decided to axe my Avatar section and move it to online where the space is unlimited, that it is more accessible and space was cheaper (so that they can make something better with the space on print). Of course, given the readers brouhaha after the whole axing episode (plus my consistently petitioning for my cause), they decided to put it back. Phew...


Here's how a Monk character looks like Ragnarok Online

Anyhow, letters began to come in complaining about the loss of Avatar and that the writers themselves would loathe to see it go. To tell you the truth, I was a little shocked and taken aback by the responses. What started out as something that I wanted to do for myself has become what my readers love and has come to partake in (one of them fans even suggested possible plotlines for me to follow. gosh). I am deeply honored by these emails and have kept them as a source of encouragement whenever I feel that slightest bit of writer's drain.

For recording purposes, here are some excerpts of the emails I got...

"...Hi Jason Woo,

I'm a great fan of your Ragnarok story, i just love it!
But i've missed the October issue, please could u help me? I really want to follow your story....."


- Jim Tan

"...Hey there. I am a fan of your Ragnarok fanfic. Unfortunately, i just started collecting Gameaxis magazines so I think I missed quite a lot of previous chapters. Is it possible to get the previous chapters of your fanfic? I am looking forward to it."

- Jed Lim

"...Incidentally, I am a big fan of the Ragnarok Fanfiction of Mr Jason Woo's and well, have been loyally following Tellerin's adventures. I have cut out all the pages that contain the fanfiction and now kept them in a file, so one day I probably will bind them and turn them into a mini booklet. If it is not too much of a trouble for Mr Jason Woo, I have an interest in writing as well, and probably want to write a novel or book regarding Ragnarok Online. Hope he might give me some pointers, since I enjoyed his writing. ( Btw, the story about Maple Story featured in June's issue was interesting.. the characters are so kawaii.... though I think the characters in Ragnarok Online are more cute )

Thirdly, I have a minor bone to pick though. I just picked up the July edition of the GameAxis Unwired, and I was rather dissapointed that the Avatar Section was missing. Hope you guys don't do this often.. because for loyal followers of Tellerin's adventures.. it's rather sad. THanks for giving us game fans such a good time reading your magazines though! Keep up the good work guys !"


- Andy Basuki

"...Secondly, I am also a great fan of Mr. Jason Woo's Ragnarok fanfiction in the Avatar section, and have been following Tellerin on his journey. However, it is unfortunate that since I only started collecting GameAxis magazines from September issue onward (yes, the Doom 3 issue - the very game that led me to collecting your magazine!) and subscribed in December last year, I missed what seemed like the first eight chapters of the story. I would greatly appreciate it if you could move an entire copy of the story to your online portal, but please continue publishing them in future issues as well!"

- Fong Chun Wai Tobias

That Andy Basuki guy even asked me for tips on how to write a good fan-fic!

"...Thanks for informing me on why you guys missed out the Avatar section. Well, I would probably like to start out a Ragnarok Fic of my own.. could you pls give me tips on how to write a good one?"

It's like overwhelming can? I mean, who am I to inspire such confidence in this young chap who thinks that I can actually make him into a better writer when I am also learning how to myself? Of course, I replied him in the best way I could.

"...Hi Andy,

I don't know if I am in a good enough position to tell someone how to write good fan fics but here are some stuff that has helped me in writing Avatar so maybe it will be of help to you as well. Here goes:

1) First and foremost, you have to read more, and read from a wide range of spectrum at that. What I mean is you must not limit yourself to what you like reading about the most, for the sake of discussion, let's say you love to read fantasy. Now, besides, fantasy, you have to at least know something about stuff like fashion, cultures, different places etc. Reading things like travelogues, magazines or even watching programmes on TV may help. Now you know what to say when your parents claim that too much TV is not good, heh.

2) Secondly, you need to have a good mind for details and sequencing since that's pretty important if you are going to write a long epic tale. Contrary to what you think, people do notice things about continuity. Also, this will help in you fleshing out your story better since you can better imeerse readers in your story.

3) Lastly, you may want to have a deeper understanding of the subject matter you will be writng on namely RO in this case coz I have been playing the game for more than a year before I wrote the story. Having a knowledge of the places and people in the game will make you a better fan fic writer.

There, I hope these tips will help.

If anything, have an active interest to write and the desire to improve your craft, that I feel is really what separates the writers from the wannabes.

Regards,

Jason Woo"


So if anyone of you were to stumble upon this site and saw your emails published, firstly I have to apologise for not asking you people about this and secondly, I found it difficult to explain to myself the reason not to since this is my blog, a place where I put up my proudest moments and also pen the times when I felt totally down and out.

So without much further ado, I would like to reveal the very first chapter of this story which I will add in more chapters as the days go by...

Rune Midgard Anthology – An Acolyte’s dream

Not content with his fate of being a second line of defence against the forces of the Turtle General, Tellerin yearns for the swashbuckling life of a soldier fighting for the peace of the land he loves. This is a story based on the popular MMORPG Ragnarok Online and introduces you to the journeys of the young acolyte, Tellerin and his route to becoming a Monk, God’s servant of Righteousness in Rune Midgard.

A restless youth
Young Tellerin is troubled. The junior acolyte stationed in the Grand Basilica of Prontera just cannot seem to find peace within the hallowed halls of the most holy place in Rune Midgard. Prontera is and will ever be the focal point of the huge continent with its influences in trade, economy, judicial and religious matters of which Tellerin’s mentor, the High Priest HoJin was a part of.

It is no wonder so as every single day the wizened old man played his role as the Chief Minister to His Majesty’s court – a secular post he accepted when the King was anointed 20 years ago by HoJin himself.

Tellerin, on the other hand, had no such interest in the day-to-day affairs of the kingdom, contrary to what his seniors, which made up of the priests, priestesses of the Prayer Wing tried to tell him.

“As a dedicated servant of the Lord, you must take an active interest in the world as well, lest the Evil One plants seeds of sin in your heart,” so warned Brother Homeus, a much respected priest of the Basilica and one of the few clergymen who has seen war and destruction when he was sent to assist the Knights and Crusaders of Rune Midgard in repelling the host of the Turtle General years ago when Tellerin was just confirmed into the folds of the holy order.

It was a move that was supposed to save him from a life of starvation with a family he never knew although HoJin once told him that he was the only son of a pair of peasants who were unfortunately killed in the last Turtle General invasion which Homeus was sent to.

What Tellerin wanted however, was to get out there and pursue his own dreams – dreams of serving as a hardened mercenary fighting glorious wars, winning them and living through it to tell his tale in the next tavern he set his foot in.

“Tellerin, you are much too young to even wield a sword, let alone fight a battle,” explained HoJin to the 16 year-old one day after the High Priest has finished his class regarding the finer points of Aqua Benedictus (the purification of water to make it holy) of which Tellerin was a part of (needless to say, the young acolyte paid no attention, and even had the audacity to fall asleep).

HoJin continued, “…a battle has no place for members of the Holy Order such as us priests and the best thing we can contribute to the battleground is our healing and support capabilities, for we are not masters of war unlike the Knights and the Crusaders, surely you must understand that.”

“But everyday that I spend in prayer and solitude has only served to alienate me further from the Order, I feel a draw to something else, it’s as if He is willing me to another direction and path…” replied Tellerin.

The aged High Priest grew silent and for a moment, Tellerin thought he saw a line of resignation flickering past the face of his teacher as well as the first person he looked upon the day he was sent to the Monastery.

“I heard there is a separate Order of warrior priests set between the foothills North-East of Prontera City, the books in the library tells them to be…”

“Yes, Tellerin, they are the Order of the Warrior Monks, far removed from our cause and reclusive to say the least, none has really ever set their eyes on their gates before succumbing to the rigours of the road.”

“I want to join them and lend my strength to the fighting troops of the King, I heard that they are skilled in the lesser studied arcane lore and are especially adept in combat skills, please Master, let me seek them for I have no wish to languish as a support priest…I want to fight…”

With that, HoJin let out a short sigh and Tellerin flinched, expecting a set of new chidings that he always got from the old man when he was being difficult, but what HoJin said surprised the young acolyte, “Go. But know you this; once you are beyond the walls of Prontera I can afford you no more protection and the road is rough, for such is the fate of those who tread on a path less traveled. You can gather your provisions at the South Quarter of the City, mention my name and you will be accorded the appropriate treatment.”


Hiiyaah!! A female Monk battling a Wraith...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Thanks for sharing im new
to them but I like cause of premature ejaculation and have started
site on cause of premature ejaculation
if you want to visit.

Anonymous said...

You can fix that sidebar by making the picturs smaller. Its just a matter of editing. In case you did not know.

The Dyslexic Pimp said...

hmmm, how do i edit them? A little of a photo editing noob here...

128298066625157500icanhastart.jpg