The P!mp's Featured Video!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

So Long, Frank

"...And taking a step back from the hardcore Pro Tour lifestyle is probably a wise call. Play the game, see the world. I am grateful I was able to experience it; my first years on the Pro Tour especially were a very exciting time. I met a lot of great friends through the game, I got the accomplishments and acknowledgement I desired, and I got to see the whole world. But after a couple years the flip side becomes apparent and even though it does not have much to do with quitting the writing gig, I want to tell you about that side too. If you really immerse yourself in the pro Magic lifestyle (and the same holds for the pro poker lifestyle), it can get unhealthy and stressful if you let things get out of balance. I had started to build my life around Magic without putting it in proper perspective, and Magic had started to feel more like a job than like the leisure pursuit it should be.

It doesn't have to be this way. There are more meaningful things out there; I want to find new challenges in life and I want to contribute to solving some of the major problems this world is facing. Playing the best game of all time as a hobby is a fine thing (and that is how I will view it when I go to Pro Tours from now on), but I decided I didn't want to dedicate my life to it anymore. As for writing... I may return. Somewhere, sometime.

Choose your future. Choose life."

- Frank Karsten, Online Tech (magicthegathering.com)

Well, seems like Frank Karsten is quitting Magic or am I reading into it too much. I was once so very into this game and still occasionally read about it but like Frank, life's own priorities will slowly seep in to tell you that it's time to maybe get a move on.

I like Frank Karsten as a player, although I have NEVER spoken to him but I do like his play style and the way he writes.

I wish him well.

No comments:

128298066625157500icanhastart.jpg