Anyhow, I have finished The Magician's Nephew - the first book in the Narnia series when put in chronological order (plot-wise). The explains how the world of Narnia was created and how Narnia came to have a wicked Snow Queen and the arrival of the Lion Aslan (voiced by Jedi Master Liam Neeson in the movie for trivia's sake). Although The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (LWW) was normally the first book people read about Narnia, The Magician's Nephew must be read to get a grip on the world's origins and come to appreciate LWW better.
Right now as I am typing, I have put aside The Horse and His Boy, the third book in the series. It's not really about the four children in LWW per se although their names get mentioned and only Susan, Edmund and Lucy get brief appearances. It's more about a boy named Shasta and his horse Bree who is incidentally a Talking Horse originally from Narnia. Now why are there talking animals in Narnia? You have to read The Magician's Nephew to find out.
Funnily now, as I am older undoubtedly, I find that the prose in the Narnia books though simple, are laden rich in allegories and deep in moral philosophy. Maybe some books are meant to be read after you have taken a few knocks and tumbles in Life. I have come to like Aslan more and more and many times in the story, his sense of Justice and Magnanimity astounds me. Funny thing it is because many people see this series as juvenile fiction and thus readers do not expect the story to be too deep in themselves. But then again you have Harry Potter.
Now I only need to get my hands on the other books like Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair and The Last Battle and I'm all set.
And since I am in essence typing about a fantasy themed post, here's something I got from Mona's blog. I just love those quizzes I can find on the girl Moonies' blogs. LOL!

Leo:Love is in the air for you this month! Whether
it's at that spooky Halloween party your buds
are planning or the big football game this
weekend, a classmate will have his eye on you
and want to start a romance!
Lucky Day: Saturday
what is your horoscope
brought to you by Quizilla



No comments:
Post a Comment