難分真與假 人面多險詐
幾許有共享榮華 簷畔水滴不分差
無知井裡蛙 徒望添聲價
空得意目光如麻 誰料金屋變敗瓦
命裡有時終須有 命裡無時莫強求
雷聲風雨打 何用多驚怕
心公正白壁無暇 行善積福最樂也
命裡有時終須有 命裡無時莫強求
人比海裡沙 毋用多牽掛
君可見漫天落霞 名利息間似霧化
許冠傑 - 浪子心聲 1972
Translation below:
It's not easy to distinguish between truth and falsehood. Many humans are deceitful at heart.
How many of them would share prosperity with you? To equally share even the waterdrops from the rim of a roof?
We'll eventually gain whatever as fate would have it. We'd not strive too hard for something not destined for us.
(I was) an ignorant frog inside a well, looking in vain for prestige and fame.
Self-conceited and short-sighted, I never expected my elegant house would one day become a dilapidated wreck.
We'll meet thunders and storms, but we don't have to be scared.
Happiest are those who have a fair mind and a clear conscience, and who perform good deeds whenever possible.
Human beings are just like the sand in the sea where nothing is to be worried.
You can see the evening glow all over the sky. It'll soon disappear like mist; so do fame and fortune.
Never really understood this song fully when I first heard it through my dad's cassette or CD player coz I was very young then and the song was sung in Cantonese by Sam Hui.
But as I grow older and listened to it again did I knew what a powerful song this is. Through its simple lyrics, it teaches alot of life's lessons in just a few stanzas. Truly amazing, we don't get such songs these days where teenyboppers rule the Cantopop and Chinese pop planet because this song actually scales and grows with you as you age day by day and you get new meaning from it.
The recent passing of Lydia and Heath Ledger also made me think of this song. No matter how rich and accomplished you think you are, does it truly matter at the end of the day?
Most importantly of course, listening to it still makes me miss my Dad and the heady days with him.
The P!mp's Featured Video!
Friday, February 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment