The whole show was made out to be some sort of classroom setting where the gathering journalists were supposed to be little kindergarten children coming to learn about digital photography, in this case, Nokia's brand of digital imaging (although it also acted like a soft launch of the upcoming N90 model). The whole setting was made to be like a classroom setting complete with round tables you see in nurseries where 5 - 6 children sit in circles as well as bottles of Yakults and bowls of peanut M&Ms (Mona will love this).
Well, to cut the story short, after being taught the basics of digital photography and its principles, we children were sent out to take 6 different photos of varying themes using Nokia's camera phones (I got to use the 6681 model while others actually used the N90, damn).
Anyhow, after we took the shots, we were supposed to report back to 'class' and upload them unto Moblog and ultimately print one photo that we think was the best we took and pin it up on the board at the back of the classroom as a display of our understanding of digital photography basics and rules.
Now here's the biggie: the top three pictures will win the latest Nokia camera phones, the first prize being the N90, second the 6680 and the 6681 model being third prize. Mine was a picture called "Reflection" and was selected as the second best by a board of judges made up the PhotoI's (a photo magazine) editor, Kelvin Tong (a local film director) and Nokia's regional boss. I was also one of the few journalists who bothered to film a short clip with the phone entitled "Art on the Move" which featured kids running around enjoying the numerous paintings and sculptures in an exhibition happening at MICA right now, I was lucky too that there was a primary school excursion group today as well.
The point is, I bloody made off with a 6680 just like that!! Can you imagine my euphoria?? It's doubly sweet coz I recently lost my phone and so fast I got one back, and a better model at that too!! Not to mention having my amateur photo praised by people like Kelvin Tong and John Cosgrove (the editor of PhotoI and a renown digital photographer). Thank God sia! I remembered I really liked the phone when I was reviewing it and feeling sad when I had to return it to the PR agency then...glad I get to keep one for good now. And it also means that I can engage in video calls since the phone is 3G, so fun can.
Sidenote: Maybe I should go take up photography lessons, eh...
Anyhow, during the event, I managed to bump into this girl who was previously from MCM class of 2000. She's Tamara and I am not sure if anyone of you Moonies know her. But anyway, she recognized me first (which was kinda wierd coz I was damn low profile back then and I have barely spoken ten words to her last time). We exchanged some updates and namecards and I hope to see her again. It's good to bump into coursemates every now and then and come to realise that the media industry here in Singapore is so darn small.
Later I went for the another launch but this time it's for the World of Warcraft which is a really kickass Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game (or MMORPG for short) from Blizzard, you know, those guys who made Diablo and Starcraft?
Lucky I never buy the last time, phew...being in the media has its perks I must say.
Anyhow, the media goodie bag consisted of a full version of the game complete with a 30 day free play ticket (worth around 80 bucks and to think I actually had the intention to buy it last time, lucky never gotten around to doing it or this time I will dwee[heartache]...). How cool is that? Now I just need to find kahkis to roam the world of Azeroth with me and kill some monsters. Anyone interested? Me probably taking Taurens if playing as the Horde or the Night Elves if playing the Alliance...
So this was it, my lucky 21st of July when I made at least 500 bucks worth of goodies (the 6680 is now 400 plus with line...)



No comments:
Post a Comment